Tuesday, February 21, 2012

My first day of the Journal


I am currently living in Highland Utah.  I don't really like it here too much but this is where we ended up because of a series of bad decisions most of which if I just would have listened to the wife wouldn't have happened.

I have two of the most amazing wonderful kids on the planet.  London who is 5 and Jagger who just turned 3.  They are what makes me keep going and wanting to be a better person.  They make me laugh and smile every day.  I can't believe how lucky I am to be their dad.  It is truly the greatest thing I have done in my life.  I hope I can always be there for them and be a good example.  I want them to be good people that understand what is most important in life and always be true to our family and to themselves and to our Heavenly Father.  It is funny how fast they grow I can't believe that it has happened so fast.  It kind of makes me sad in a way.  I don't know how many more kids we will have but I love them so much.  I want to give them the world but I want them to be humble enough to appreciate it.  I know this will be a life long challenge to accomplish but I am excited for the journey forward.

I am currently in school again right now at Thunderbird down in AZ.  I love it and have learned so much and am so thankful that I was given this opportunity to go and learn and to be challenged intellectually.  10 years of selling alarms and working in the alarm industry really set me back in a way.  I learned a lot but the world is so big and I just want to do so much more now.

I have been studying all day today and mainly have been focused on my Asia class.  There are so many interesting places I want to see and cultures to learn about.  I learned about Singapore and how they grew so rapidly and China as well.  They really focused on education and I really wish that happened more here in the US.  If you don't have your kids in school in Singapore you can be arrested or fined.  that would be helpful here and would get the parents at least focusing on what is most important.  They realized that if they wanted to be a world leader they would have to have the work force to do it with and they decided to focus on getting their people there.

I also read an article today about Leadership in a (permanent) Crisis by Ronal Heifetz, Alexander Grashow, and Marty Linsky a Harvard Biz Review.  Something in this article really hit me.  There is a part of this that talks about taking care of yourself.  It says in this part of the paper, "Finally, don't lose yourself in your role.  Defining your life through a single endeavor, no matter how important your work is to you and to other, makes you vulnerable when the environment shifts."  I think this is what I did when I was in the alarm industry.  I had become the best and was know throughout the industry and thought I was really important and when I lost it and had to leave the industry I struggled and still do today.  It is hard not to be the man the boss and the best at where you are in life.  I am in a way trying to discover who I am all over again.  This time I will not make the mistake of letting that define me.  It will be just another stage in life.  I know that my overall goal today is to make enough money so I have the freedom to do what I want when I want and not be tied down by money.  This is my goal.

Currently I haven't been bringing in money this last 5 months really since I started school.  I was doing some consulting for the alarm industry and then just kind of got sick of doing that.  I looked for jobs and tried but really didn't feel like I would be the kind of guy right now to settle for just anything.  I know it has been hard for Danica to watch this but I just am really scared of getting stuck in something for the next 10 years of my life that in the end was a waste.  I think I finally found something though.  I went and interviewed with a company called CrimeReports.com.  They do the tracking of crime across the US and are based here in Utah and the founder happened to be an old neighbor from sugarhouse that I didn't really know until now.  They told me that I had the job and they would get an offer to me this week.  I really am excited to work there.  I am a little nervous I haven't heard anything yet. I don't want to get too excited if I dont' get it.  We have been living off saving from the alarm industry that has shrunk a lot over the years.  We have about 250k left right now in a family trust but can't really access it when we want so I really need to start bringing money in again.

I am still in a lawsuit with Platinum.  It has been 2 years now but should finally be over.  This has been a good time in my life to see this as of late.  I did the right thing standing up to Wendell Jacobson and now 2 years later he is being sued by the SEC for running the 2nd largest ponzi scheme in Utah history.  My partners 2 weeks ago finally ran Platinum into the ground and are now being sued by me, Derrick, Monitronics and 2 others that I haven' found out are yet.  Karma although it works on it's own schedule is real.  You have to do the right thing or you will suffer the consequences at some point.  I hope this ends soon and maybe I will even get some of my money back from this thing.

Either way I am much better of and am thankful that although this has been very hard for me and for our family.




Now back to studying I have a paper I have to do and study for math.

No comments:

Post a Comment